Who we are
MiTiN (pronounced “mitten”) was formed as an informal network in 1991 by local Michigan translators and interpreters; and was later established as MiTiN (Michigan Translators/Interpreters Network) in 1995.
MiTiN professional members are fluent in many languages and include translators, interpreters, agencies, educators, and others interested in offering services in the translation and interpretation profession. Since 2004, MiTiN has been a Chapter of the American Translators Association (ATA), a professional society with over 9,000 members in the U.S. and abroad.
- To operate an open referral to the services offered by MiTiN members.
- To promote the continuing education and development of interpreters and translators.
- To promote networking among interpreters and translators including interaction and support of like organizations.
- To promote and publicize professional standards and practices.
- To promote and support the general development of cross-cultural communication skills.
- MiTiN holds frequent meetings, educational seminars, an annual conference, and proctors ATA accreditation exams. MiTiN programs include a wealth of informative events and networking opportunities.
- MiTiN also publishes an online directory of our professional multilingual members and agencies. This directory brings end-users directly in contact with language specialists. The directory, available at this website, is free to all users.